Re: memory consumption in ns

On Fri, 05 Sep 1997 18:42:54 PDT, Dennis Connors - Intern wrote:
>I am using ns to simulate a trace driven video connection.  I am
>using the "Heap" scheduler.  As the simulation progresses it
>consumes swap memory until it runs out and dies.  It gives the
>message "Virtual Memory exceeded in 'new' ".  My ns modifications
>free all packets that they generate.  I am getting the packet
>interarrival times from a trace file using the "Traffic/Trace"
>object.  Does anyone know what could cause the swap memory to
>continually decrease as the simulation progresses?

I recommend you try using either Purify or dmalloc to see where
your memory is going.  Once you know that, you can verify that you're
freeing all packets in your new code or that we're not freeing
something in the ns core.

Dmalloc usage for ns is described at
<http://www-mash.cs.berkeley.edu/ns/ns-debugging.html>.

   -John