Re: Installation of "tclcl-1.0b4"

----Original Message-----
From: Deniz Gurkan <[email protected]>
To: ns-users <[email protected]>
Date: 27 November 1997 ð. 10:47 AM
Subject: Installation of "tclcl-1.0b4"

Dear Deniz,
There is no any problem with your tclcl1b4 nor with your make.
This is a norman behaviour.

>Dear ns-users,
>
>I have another problem in installation of "tclcl-1.0b4". When I say make
>the following error occurs:
>
>>> test -e libTcl.a && rm -f libTcl.a || true
>>> sh: test: argument expected
>>> *** Error code 1 (ignored)

This error is due to different test implementation on your system than the
one
on tclcl author's system. This is OK. It just tests whether link libTcl.a
exists or
not. That link points to libtclcl.a. Since test was invoked inproperly this
command
set cannot remove it (libTcl.a link) if already exists. This causes the next
error,
which is normal too.

>>> ln -s libtclcl.a libTcl.a
>>> ln: libTcl.a: File exists
>>> *** Error code 1

ln can't create link libTcl.a since it already exist (from your previous
call(s) to make).

>>> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libtclcl.a'

But libtclcl.a was created successfully, and link libTcl.a points to it.
I think the authors of tclcl need to clean it a little bit here.

>But "make" then behaves as if nothing wrong has happened. I mean, when I
>type one more make after this, it doesn't do anything:
>
>>> toros:/antep3g/network/tclcl-1.0b4>make
>>> toros:/antep3g/network/tclcl-1.0b4>

Right. It has nothing to do. All source files were compiled, and libtclcl.a,
and libTcl.a
exist up to date.

>Shouldn't it write that "make is up to date"? Or should I ignore and go on
>with "ns-2.1b1"?

It prints "ns is up to date" not "make is up to date".
Since libtclcl.a is not executable but a library ( I may be wrong here) make
will not print that message. May be it has something to do with targents in
make or so.
But the one thing is thre is not anything wrong in here.

Good luck with ns2.1b1.

>Thank you for your future help. I am looking forward to a reply.
>Sincerely,
>
>Deniz GURKAN
>Research Assistant

Ihor.