Re: ns 2.1b2 for Solaris - build fails

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Haobo Yu wrote:

>Lloyd Wood wrote:
>
> > We're having major problems with the configure stage. Compiling either
> > statically or dynamically, release sans debugging options,
> > ns-2.1b2/configure reports:
> >
> >   checking for main in -ldl... (cached) no
> >   no dynamic load lib
>
> I got this problem before with sunos4.1.4. In my system, there was only
> /usr/lib/libdl.so, but not libdl.a. Therefore when configuring with
> -static, it'll fail. My ad hoc solution was, editing the Makefile
> generated by configure, add "-Xlinker -Bdynamic" before "-ldl". That
> worked for me.

Thanks for the suggestion, haobo. Solaris (or, at least, every
implementation of 5.4 and 5.5.1 I have access to) does not have a
libdl.a file either; unfortunately your suggestion doesn't work for me
(producing a 'conflicts with -dn' grumble.)

My main reason for wanting to move from 2.0 to 2.1b2 is to use the
later release of nam. I'm interested in simulating large mesh networks
(20x10 grids of fourway and sixway-connected nodes in a toroidal or
cylindrical mesh, say), and while 0.8 is fine at drawing tree
structures, it gets confused at drawing simple meshes, making it hard
to see what's going on.

Is 1.0a4's drawing improved?

thanks,

L.