Re: PIM-SM

On 17 Mar 1999, Yuri Pryadkin wrote:

> Ljubica Blazevic <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > In  ns2.1b5  release there is no longer supporting the pim sparse mode
> > simulator (under ~ns/tcl/pim)? Still there are examples in tcl/ex/newmcast
> > that don't work. Is there a plan to port over pim to current ns
> > release in the near future?
>
> Currently there are no plans to do so.

http://www-mash.cs.berkeley.edu/ns/mcast.html

"However, if you are looking at multicast routing, or are using PIM as
 your multicast routing protocol, then these changes could affect you
 adversely.
[..]
 In particular, we do not plan to upgrade the PIM implementation in ns
 at this time."

Even so, I've still had the refrain "You killed PIM-SM![*] You
bastards!" running through my head all day. Back to fiddling with
centralised multicast...

L.

is thoroughly expecting PIM-SM to pop back to life in the next release
unharmed, but then he's been watching way too much 'South Park'.

[*] okay, and detailedDM and PIM-DM and other unspecified stuff(?), but
    all that doesn't scan with "Kenny"...
    "Broken functionalities, such as detailedDM and PIM-DM, were removed."