Installation problem 2.1b5

Hello,

I downloaded and unarchived the ns-allinone-2.1b5 package.

After running the install script, I got the following
error message:

checking whether char is unsigned... configure: error: can not
run test program while cross compiling tcl8.0.4 configuration
failed! Exiting ...

The installation problems URL mentions that this is due to
"..a gcc installation problem on your computer". I have gcc
installed and can use it (from the command line) to compile
and link other code successfully. What specifically is the
problem here?

-Alfred Jones

Director, MIL 3 Laboratory
MIL 3, Inc.