RE: [ns] issues on ErrorModel AGAIN!

Since the outrage of our mail server, sorry for this very late mail.

There are also several other tests with error module by grep 'lossmodel'
in tcl/test.

These test suites only test insert-loss which inserts the error model
before the queue. IMHO, it can not simulate the link error model. The
packet loss is different from packet error.

> And they want to call the queue resume function after some
> random delay
> whose average is the transmission delay after dropping some specified
> packets. In these three test scenario files, they set the
> packet type to
> drop by using the command "drop-packet" when they set the drop-target
> with the null agent. I guess that this code is just for their
> experiments. I
> am not sure why. Is there anybody who knows why??

The average delay is only half of the transmission delay rather than the
transmission delay since uniform(r) only generates random value from [0,
r) uniformly.

After checking the CVS log of errmodel.cc, it is changed at revision
1.38 to use bandwidth_ to determine when to resume the queue (however,
it use the random value between [0,transmission delay), WHY?). Before
that revision, the error module resumes the queue handler after
0.000001s.

> But normally when packets are delivered over target which is a neigbor
> after the error module decides whether or not the packets
> will have errors.
> So, other test suites are not affected by this code at all.

No true. The test suite never test the error model using link-lossmodel.

For network with link error, e.g. wireless network, the error model is a
key issue for the simulation.

HongBin
07/18/2001