Re: [ns] improving the ns development

ns has a cvs server. It has had a cvs server for years, as you'll see
if you look at the cvs web pages. Write access to that is restricted
to trusted ns developers (come up with enough helpful patches and you
can join the club), although anonymous read access is available, as is
cvsweb.

The main barrier to improving the ns development process is that ns is
also a darpa research project (vint), and discussions concerning ns
development in vint are not public, with the result that people
outside the vint loop know less about where the ns vint people are
active, what's being worked on and planned, etc. There's little
outward communication.

Couple that with a bsdish model (knowledgeable few doing little after
careful thought) rather than linux development model (clueless many
doing lots - ns isn't a kernel, and spotting simulation errors needs
greater clue than whining that the latest kernel wouldn't boot) and
lack of available time to test and commit patches posted to the
list... goodbye, third-party synergy. Most of the remaining synergy
comes from an ever-changing pool of students who are using ns in a
desperate attempt to graduate.

I don't think ns needs any more features. What it needs is for the
existing features to work together in a more coherent fashion.

L.