[ns] tracefile problems with Windows

Hi all
I built Ns2.18ba both with Win2K and Win98, and it worked fine so far.
When I try to use tracefiles (including the tg.tcl sample that comes with
the distribution) I got the following error:

warning: no class variable Tracefile::debug_
	see tcl-object.tcl in tclcl for info about this warning

following the guidelines in the quoted file, I added a line in
nsdefault.tcl with "Tracefile set debug_ false".
Now I don't get that error anymore, but still my simulations do one of the
following:
a) print "read failed" and get on as if no tracefile input was present
b) print some strange number and lock (think this could be due to some
mismatch in _my_ home-made tracefiles).

Is the fix correct? are all problems due to mismatch in Unix/Window
representations?
Could anyone tell me how to make ns2 work with tracefiles?
BTW: could anyone tell me how exactly to build win tracefiles (the manual
is a bit short about it, isnt it?)