[ns] MANET Class Project ideas

Hello all,

I'm in the process of developing a project for a class on wireless
networking topics, and I'd like it to be centered on the simulation of
MANET protocols in ns2.  Some ideas I have been kicking around is to have
the students animate traces to get a sense for what is going on, then have
them pour through the trace files to calculate things like latency between
send and receive at two nodes, describe the routing packets each routing
algorithm sends (either via nam or via the trace files), then compare two
routing algorithms, whatever that means.

I am having some problems getting everything set up.  I have the topology
and movement files on hand.  I'm a little confused by the wireless trace
files:  what program can read this?  Marc Greis's wireless tutorial
generates a tracefd and a namtrace file.  I've read a bit about ad-hockey,
but after running it, I don't think it does what I want it to do, i.e.
display wireless traces.

What I would really like to hear is feedback from anyone who has given
similar assignments:  what worked, what didn't.  I'd be happy to post a
summary of reactions from students after I assign the project and follow
it through to its (happy) conclusion.

Best regards,
John

--
John WELLS
Virginia Tech Networking and Visualization Lab

PGP signature