Re: [ns] regarding Tcl_Debugging

--- Lloyd Wood <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Raj M Verma wrote:
>
> > Dear ns-users, I'm trying to use tcl-debug-2.0 for
> > just checking how it works, but I cudn't able to
> get
> > the way to use it. I downloaded tcl-debug-2.0 and
> > expect-5.33 seperately to my ns-allinone-2.1b8a
> > directory. I've configured, made and installed
> them.
>
> have you since rebuilt ns to enable tcl debugging?
>
> L.

hi, I'm sorry that I didn't get ur point. wat do u
mean by rebuilt ns? do I have to install, configure
and validate it again? I donno whether I've to do it
again. but for me right now debugger is workin fine
with some simple loops and procedures. If I try to
give a complete application like the following
example,

set ns [new Simulator]
$ns rtproto DV
..

I'm giving the command "expect -D 1 example.tcl" at my
user prompt. then it's going into the debugger mode
and the output is as follows.
1: new Simulator
dbg1.0>
5: namespace current
dbg5.1>
invalid command name "new"
    while executing
"new Simulator"
  (file "example.tcl" line 1)

So, according to my guess it shud be a prob with OTcl
linkage, 'cos I heard that this tcl-debugger works
only with pure Tcl code but not with the combination
of C++ and OTcl(especially for ns). how far is this
true? and one more doubt is that as far as I know the
debugger that I'm using is the latest
one(tcl-debug-2.0) but in the manual(tcl-debug.ps)
that was given in the package, it was mentioned that
it was taken from the proceedings of 1993 Tcl/Tk
workshop, how can they give such an old manual for the
latest release? cud u pls clarify my doubts regarding
whether I can use this debugger for the applications
in ns2 and if so, which is the better way to do it.
thanx a lot.
Raj.