[ns] The "role" of a classifier

Hi to all,
I know that, when a source agent, link simple TCP (tcp.cc), invokes C++
method "send(p,h)" to send a packet, it happens that "target_->recv()" and
the destination agent (pointed by target_), like SINK (tcp-sink.cc),
receives the packet. In this mechanism, what is the role of classifiers of
the two nodes where agents are resident? In other words, in what moment each
classifier is called ?
Another little question: how can I change in OTcl the default classifier
used in a node?

Thanks in advance

Sandro Petrizzelli