Re: [ns] Priority Flows for Wireless LANs

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Rahul Mangharam wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to implement an EDF (earliest deadline first) dequeue policy
> for 802.11 PCF for downstream and upstream links. I would like to specify
> a priority level and a flow id for each flow. A node can have several
> flows and each flow can have a unique flow_id and pri_level tuple. I'd
> like to know:
>
> 1] How to specify a flow_id and pri_level so the access point can dequeue
> the packets based on EDF. Exactly where should I add this state info
> (packet.h ??) . I will be modifying the 802.11 frame headers but need the
> event/packet scheduler to inform the queue with the tuple.

flow_ids are already present in common header.

> 2] The 802.11 MAC uses a callback function to get the next ready packet
> from the link layer. Is it possible to implement the EDF queue within the
> link layer or to get all available packets from the LL and do the EDF
> queueing within the MAC?

Yes, that should be possible although you might want to look at
the current classifiers and AQM code for possible code reuse.

--Padma

> I am using ns-2.1b8a.
>
> Thanks,
> Rahul
>
>                    Rahul Mangharam
>     _,-~\          Graduate student - Real Time Multimedia Lab
> \       Carnegie
>  \      Mellon     Electrical & Computer Engineering, Carnegie Mellon
>    \     _,-~      http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~rahulm (Online Journal)
>     \_,-~

Be true to your work, your word, and your friend.
--Thoreau

Padmaparna Haldar