Re: [ns] NS license

>Most of the terms and conditions for use of NS are described in the
>COPYRIGHTS text file on the root level of the source tree.  Unfortunately,
>due to the nature of the collaboration, the terms and conditions seem to be
>on a per-source-file basis.  There are ten different copyright notices with
>slightly different restrictions in the COPYRIGHTS file.  There are possibly
>more that are simply inside individual source files.
>
>At least one of the copyright notices only grant permission to
>use/copy/modify/distribute for non-commercial purposes.  Most of the
>copyright notices seem to be BSD style licenses that permit any use or
>modification so long as the original creators are credited properly.
>
>The web page at http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/edu/index.html indicates that NS
>is intended for use in education.  I guess it doesn't indicate whether or
>not that education must be not-for-profit.
>
>I don't have any special information about it, though, and may have easily
>overlooked something.  Does anybody out there have a better answer?  If I'm
>wrong about any of this, I'd love to hear about it.  I'm working on a (BSD
>licensed, I guess) toy project with NS2 and would hate to think I've
>misinterpreted anything.

I'd like to answer your question, but it's not completely clear to me
what your question is.  In general, we want ns to be widely
used---it's used at public schools (like the UC system), private
schools (like USC and U. Penn.).

There shouldn't be a problem using it in similar contexts for
education at for-profit institutions like U. of Phoenix, although if
you're concerned, please contact me directly.

   -John Heidemann