[ns] NS for cycle accurate sim of switch device

Hi,
I am about to begin a project that involves the decription of some
components of a device that
routes packets between various protocols. I will need to describe these
components at cycle accurate
abstraction level. I will also need to describe one protocol which will
be used for the switch and which
is not included in the basic NS libraries.

CNCL has also been brought to my attention as a possible candidate -
does anyone have any views on
which simulator is more appropriate for such a task? Do you have any
experiences / preferences of the two tools?

Thanks in advance for comments,
Martin