[ns] after modify file.cc, what should i do?

hi,
what should we do after made a modification in file.cc in ns?

can we make a modification without using patch file that available for the file that we want to modify? ( i mean, i made a modification manually by typing each line that i want to modify and save this modification file by overwritten the existing file.
I've just knew about "patch" (using patch file) after i made modification "manually".

regards,
dade