Re: Prunes and grafts with DM protocol

> Hi ns users,
>
> I was looking at the ns code for sending prunes and grafts in the
> DM protocol (files DM.tcl and prune.{cc, h}), and it appears
> that these messages are sent directly from prune agent to prune
> agent without going through the underlying links. Is this correct, or am I
> missing something? If it is correct, why are they treated this
> way?

Christos,

	DM.tcl sends unicast prunes to the next hop router,... it is sent
through the underlying link. The prune agent is attached to the node just
like any other agent, and the packets pass through the node classifiers,
get forwarded according to the forwarding tables [in this case unicast]
and go to the link from there... etc.

	For a closer simulation of how DM protocols act in the real
world, check detailedDM.tcl. In this file, prunes are multicast onto
LANs, and not just unicast to the next hop.
	Again there, the packets pass through the links, just like any
other packet forwarded between nodes in ns,

hope this answers your question,

Regards,
-A