Problem : Running NS

hi,

 I'm having problems running ns,and I'm not sure if the way in which I had
tried to do a sample simulation like the one given in your manual is the
problem.
This is what I had done after the installation of ns.

> cd ns-2
> set ns
> set n0
> set n1
> set f[open out.tr w]
error: Variable name must begin with a letter.

Here I realize that I've not been doing the right thing, and abort the
whole process and start in a different way.

>cd ns-2
>ns
%set ns    // hope you note the change in the prompt
error : can't read ns : no such variable
%set n0
error : no such variable
%set n1
error : can't read n1 : no such variable
%set f[open out.tr w]
error: can't read ffile3 : no such variable

I stop at this point, I'm not sure I'm even heading in the right direction
or is it some configurtion problem. Is it creating a trace file that I
don't know about.

Your help would be highly appreciated.

thaks

vkchoyi