ns installation prob

while installing ns, when I ran configure, it was looking for Perl. While I
executed the makefile, it failed because it couldn't found perl. It showed
the following message:
lib/dmalloc_support.o lib/dmalloc_support.cc
rm -f gen/version.c
perl bin/printver.pl "char version_string[] = " < VERSION > gen/version.c
/bin/sh: perl: not found
make: *** [gen/version.c] Error 1

I saw in the make file the "PERL" variable is set to "perl"
The printver.pl script it tried to execute is a perl script and so it
failed as I don't have pearl installed in my system.

Do I need perl in order to configure & install ns......

Please help me out

With regards