Re: NS-allinone installation problem

On Mon, 06 Apr 1998 17:45:56 +0200, Mohamed VALL EL ALEM wrote:
>I tried to build NS allinone.
>I have the following problem:
>
>../tclbox/lib/libtcl8.0.a(tclLoadDl.o): In function `TclLoadFile':
>tclLoadDl.o(.text+0x19): undefined reference to `dlopen'
>tclLoadDl.o(.text+0x29): undefined reference to `dlerror'
>tclLoadDl.o(.text+0x4f): undefined reference to `dlsym'
>tclLoadDl.o(.text+0x89): undefined reference to `dlsym'
>tclLoadDl.o(.text+0xa3): undefined reference to `dlsym'
>tclLoadDl.o(.text+0xdf): undefined reference to `dlsym'
>make: *** [nam] Error 1
>Nam make failed! Exiting ...

This is an unfortunately common problem.
I added to the FAQ
(at <http://www-mash.cs.berkeley.edu/www/ns/ns-problems.html>):

    *Problem*: Ns (or otcl or tclcl) gets link errors when building with
    references to "dlopen" similar functions beginning with dl.

    *Work-around*: You need to manually add the library for dynamic
    linking to ns's Makefile. Look in the Makefile for the line LIB= and
    add your systems library for dynamic linking (typically -ldl).

    *Solution*: Unfortunately ns's autoconf support for dynamic linking
    isn't currently very good, and we can't test ns on all the platforms
    on which it's used. This configuration is done in
    ~ns/conf/configure.in.dynamic. If you can adjust the code there to
    correctly detect your system we'll be happy to add your patch to our
    sources.

(This also applies to nam.)  I hope this helps.

   -John Heidemann