Re: a basic question

hi

> Hi, there
>
> I have a basic simulation question.
>
> In ns, every link has an assoicated queue which can be monitored. What
> about node? Is there any queue assoicate with node? My feel is that
> usually, a router have multiple input links and output links, what we care
> is to know the queue size or other dynamics in the router's queue, not in
> the link's queue, Ns simulation seems contradict this assumption. I must
> miss something here, could anybody help me?
>
> To make my question more specific, say I have a router with two input
> link, one output link, If I want to simulate queue dynamic in the router,
> what should I do? observe the output link queue?

In ns (in its present form), a node does not have any queues associated with
it. The queues are associated with the links only. If in your simulations you
have two input links and one output link this should not be a concern as you
could monitor the queue associated with the output link. In case you have more
than one output link you would not be able to simulate exact router dynamics
in the node. However if you take a look at the documentation it is not a very
difficult task to introduce a queue in the node depending on your needs. For
example, you could introduce a queue into the node and make it the head of the
node and the packets from the queue would be served to the classifier from
where the packets would be appropriately routed.

good luck
kedar