Two state markov error model

I have a general question regarding the Two state markov error model:

if i define a model like this:

set trans [list 0.001 0.999]
set rate [list 100000000 1]
set unit byte
set em [new ErrorModel/MultiState/TwoStateMarkov $rate $trans $unit]

The error rates in each state look ok but, i could not find any logic
regarding the transition rates. In this particular example I expected to
have 1000 bytes correct/1 byte error/1000 bytes correct/one byte error...

However i am getting several hundred thousand bytes correct before having
a byte in error. Does anybody know the exact meaning of the transition
probabilities in this model?

thanks in advance.

--Javier
COMET Group