Re: Need your SRM scripts

Hi Christos,

> I am looking for scripts for SRM, to compare with LMS.  Also, if anyone
> has implemented local recovery in SRM I would be very interested in
> that too.

I think Kannan has implemented a local recovery version of SRM, which is in
tcl/mcast/srm-ssm.tcl (but I'm not quite sure if that handles really local
recovery - I browsed over it some time ago and saw that it has lots of
statements involving scoping). Couldn't find any docu on this class though.

> The idea is to get scripts that approximate SRM performance
> well, so my comparissons will be fair. Any topology will do, but I like
> to have some scripts with topologies that approximate reality.  So if
> you have some scripts you would like to share, please let me know.

I've done some testing recently on a rather large scale network (approx. 700
nodes), primarily to measure performance of SRM and MFTP ("Multicast File
Transfer Protocol"). The network was created using Tiers-1.1, which is
supposed to generate "realistic" network topologies in a random way. I made
some heuristics concerning bandwidth, propagation delays, background (TCP,
UDP) traffic, etc. and found that the properties of my simulated network
roughly approximate to some extend MBone characteristics.

Unfortunately, I don't have ns-2 scripts though, because I was using Tkined as
a graphical front-end to interactively set up network topologies, traffic
sources, etc.

You can find some information on http://www.cs.vu.nl/~chris/Thesis/simulation/.

     Regards,

         -Chris.