Re: ns simulations on multicast

> Hello ns users,
>
> I am doing my ns multicast simulations on PIM-SM. My version of ns is ns2.1b2.
> I wondering is there any way to do simulation on control packets, and turn off the data packets. Because I am only interested on the statistic behavior of the
> control packets.
  ^^^^^^

I think you mean 'data' here.. rite ?!

> I am not sure whether I phrase my question correctly. Appreciate any comments/help.

So, some actions of the protocol don't really depend on data packets,
like Joining or leaving groups, that may trigger some Join/Prune messages
... etc.

However, other control messages are data triggered, like Asserts that are
only triggered by receiving data packets, and registers that are actually
encapsulated data packets.

you can simply not include a source in your simulation script, and have
joining and leaving groups be the only events in the network, but not
sure how much that enables you to analyze of the protocol behavior.. !

did this help !? I hope I am answering the right question,... if I am not
then please to articulate.

Regards,
-Ahmed