Re: How to increase max nodes?

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Johan Soderberg wrote:
> Lloyd Wood wrote:
> > Are you doing
> >
> > Node expandaddr
> >
> > to expand the address space beyond 256 nodes in your simulation
> > scripts? (ns notes and docs, p25, first page of chapter 3)
>
> We tried what you suggested but it did not work out. Pity. However,
> we can even without the 'Node expandaddr' command run more than 256
> nodes (we have 300 as a maximum), so perhaps it is enough for our
> purposes.

(scratches head)  You can allocate more than 256 nodes in the 8-bit
node id_ space and get away with it? Are you sure that all of those
nodes are independent, and that rollover hasn't occurred so that node
256 supplants node 0, node 257 supplants node 1, etc as the higher
bits of the id_ integer get ignored?

Even if id_ is defined as int rather than being explicitly limited to
8 bits with char for the smaller case, I'd worry about what was
actually happening here.

> Otherwise we'll just have to get a bigger and faster machine
> (considering that a 0.2 sec simulation with 300 nodes takes about
> 3,5 minutes...:-)

not much traffic, then...

Cheers,

L.