Re: ns 2.1b3 problems

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998 14:54:06 PDT, Dennis Connors wrote:
>I am attempting to run ns-2.1b3.  When I run it from c-shell I get:
>Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>ariel{connors}#109:
>
>When I run it from GBD I get the following:
>
>GDB 4.16 (sparc-sun-solaris2.5), Copyright 1996 Free Software
>(gdb) run
>Starting program: /home/dangle/connors/sim-tools/bin/ns-2.1b3
>../../simple.tcl
>ld.so.1: /home/dangle/connors/sim-tools/bin/ns-2.1b3: fatal: relocation
>error: symbol not found: snprintf: referenced in
>/home/dangle/connors/sim-tools/bin/ns-2.1b3
>I recompiled with "-lc" since this is the library which contains
>"snprintf()" .

All programs get -lc automatically, so this change didn't do anything.

nm on libc.{a,so} on a Solaris 2.5.1 system suggests to me that
Solaris' libc does *not* have a snprintf function, just __snprintf.

snprintf is used in tclcl.  Autoconf should detect its presence or
absence and use our version (in Tcl2.cc) if necessary.  Sadly, this
process seems to have failed for you.

As a work-around, remove HAVE_SNPRINTF from tclcl's makefile and
rebuild.  If you can take a little more effort and let me know why
tclcl's configure failed to detect a missing snprintf, though, that'd
be helpful.

I would guess that there's something odd about your particular build
environemnt since Solaris was one of our test platforms (and autoconf
failed).

   -John Heidemann