Re: Multicast routing protocols

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Shuqian Yan wrote:

> Hi, ns-users
>
> I have several questions about multicast routing protocol,
>
> (1) Is there a detailed PIM-SM multicast routing protocol implemented in ns2?

Ahmed Helmy of USC/ISI has implemented detailed PIM-SM and he should be
able to give you pointers to the code.

> (2) Is CtrMcast protcol only performing session simulation, and there is no detailed protocol simulation by CtrMcast?

No control messages in CtrMcast at all (i.e., no join or prune messages).
However, users can choose to set up shared trees or source specific trees.
(The RP for the shared trees is selected using a very simplified hash
function, resulting all groups use the same lowest ip candidate RP)

You could say CtrMcast is a very simplified version of PIM-SM, focusing on
the setup of mcast trees.

hope this helps
-Polly