Re: ns performance

> Hi,
>
> I want to use ns to simulate a network with about 5000 multicast nodes
> and about 10000 multicast messages. Can someone please tell me if such a
> large network can be simulated with ns and how long one simulation of
> this scenario approximatly runs (order of seconds, hours or days). I
> want to use a Pentium-150 Computer with Linux or Windows NT.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Christian

Hi Christian,

5000 nodes (with approx. 5000 links) alone don't pose the real problem, but
you might want some losses to occur in your network, I guess. If so, then you
could configure each link to randomly drop packets, or you could simulate
packet losses by buffer overflows in the routers. In the latter case, you'll
need thousands of TCP connections, which will take a lot of memory, which will
make your scenario utopic on a pentium-150 (unless it comes with GB's of main
memory).

I've run several tests on an Ultra Sparc II, 2x296MHz, 1280 MB main memory,
the largest consuming approx. 1.7GB (main and virtual) memory. I could see two
bottlenecks: The calculations of the routing tables (if precalculated) took in
my 1300 node scenario ca. 1 hour. I'll become much worse in a 5000 node
scenario. Further, a lot of state information (caused by prune messages) is
kept if you have multiple multicast senders (such as in SRM), cause every
source spawns a separate (pruned) multicast tree.

My simulations weren't particular restricted in time (the longest being 36
hours or so), but (main) memory requirements were high and when it came to
swapping, the simulations were slowed down by a factor of 10...100, which
rendered them almost impractical to complete.

    -Chris.