packet headers and packetsizes

Hello,

I am creating a new packet header.

According to the "ns Notes and Documentation" section 10.1.1 - I need
to:
1.    create a new structure defining the raw fields
2.    define member functions for needed fields.
3.    create a static class to perform OTcl linkage
4.    edit ~ns/tcl/lib/ns-packet.tcl to enable new packet format

However, I noticed that in "ns-default.tcl", there are several places
where, in addition to the above, the  "packetSize_"  variable is set for
a particular protocol.

So, here is my question:

Do I have to create an entry in "ns-default.tcl" similar to the
following:
Agent/My_Protocol  set packetSize_ 64

And, if I do,  what is the unit size of the "packetSize_" variable?
Bytes?  Bits?

Sincerely,

Julio

--

DATAMAN Mobile Computing Lab    phone: (732) 445 2706
Computer Science Department     fax:   (732) 445 0537
Rutgers University              email: [email protected]
Piscataway, NJ                  WWW:   http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~navas/
08855                           room:  CoRE Building Room 335