Re: Y2K compliant?

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Mingzhou Sun wrote:

> It's a serious questions. So don't laugh if you find the subject line funny.
> :) Is there anything formal statement that says ns-2 is year 2000 compliant?
> Is so, where can I find it?
>
> The background. We are using ns-2 for a DARPA project. They request that all
> software packages be Y2K compliant, as pledged by the software provider. So
> basically we have to find something and tell them, "Sure, they say it is.
> Here's the proof that they said it."

Hmmm, obvious problems here:

1. ns depends on perl, Tcl/Tk, otcl, etc. Will you have to get each of
   those certified as well? (and the compiler? A Y2K statement for gcc?)

2. since ns is provided as source and is evolving, you're only
   certifying an instance of ns. How do you cover changes? (I'm
   thinking of e.g. Windows NT's C2 security rating, and what the
   rating really means in terms of exactly what they tested on;
   it's worthless for anything apart from marketing)

This could be tricky to do _convincingly_.

L.

using a mail agent which isn't Y2K compliant - see my Message-ID: line.

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>PGP<[email protected]>