Re: mem-trace yet again

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Lloyd Wood wrote:

> Conclusion: between Sep 10th and 13th, some untoward change in
> configure broke getrusage detection for Solaris.

diff, John, and RCS confirm that it wasn't a change in the configure
script as such. So much for my assumptions - false report, sorry. John
suggested bogus cacheing as a cause.

After a bit of headscratching, I tried 'make distclean' on the 2.4 '20
to discover that erroneous cacheing was the problem there. I now
realise that building the 10 September 1998 copy at the same time as
the problematic 13 September snapshot this morning wasn't a useful
indication of a difference, since the former had a sensible
config.status etc to go from, and was therefore presumably getting its
cached values from Somewhere Different, even though machine,
environment etc was the same.

But - and this I find confusing - on a 2.5.1 Ultra I get:

checking for getrusage... yes
checking for sbrk... yes

no matter what, which does make me wonder how I can compile a binary
on the ultra and have it work at all on the '20; the state of grace ns
has seeingly been in in this regard, since John fiddled with
autoconf on 31 August, now seems more puzzling than natural.

Since 2.5.1 _does_ have getrusage detected,

mem-trace.h: In method `void MemInfo::checkpoint()':
In file included from scheduler.cc:49:
mem-trace.h:67: warning: implicit declaration of function `int
getrusage(...)'

shows up consistently for both snapshots when building under 2.5.1.
(hope that's helpful for tidying up this last remnant of getrusage.)

In any case for the Sep 13 snapshot, I can only make as far as:

object.cc: In method `int NsObject::delay_bind_dispatch(const char *,
const char
 *)':
object.cc:80: no method `TclObject::delay_bind_dispatch'
object.cc:81: warning: control reaches end of non-void function
`NsObject::delay_bind_dispatch(const char *, const char *)'

on either 2.5.1 and 2.4.

thanks,

L.

<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>PGP<[email protected]>