Re: mem-trace yet again

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998 02:10:54 BST, Lloyd Wood wrote:
>I'd looked at Ingela's similar reported problem with a similar error
>message in the archives, checked my setup, and dismissed this offhand.
>
>(for ages I've been consistently starting configure with
>--with-tclcl=$HOME/ns/tclcl
>where $HOME/ns/tclcl is a symlink to a parallel tcl directory -
>in this case $HOME/ns/tclcl-1.0b6
>which is the most recent version, while various ns snapshots live
>parallel to that and all the other required pieces in
>$HOME/ns/ns-<version>-<date>).
>
>There was a parallel tclcl-1.0b5 directory next to the 1.0b6 directory
>in case I needed to revert, but since it wasn't symlinked to or
>deliberately specified, and 1.0b6 has been required since b3, I didn't
>consider it a problem.  On your suggestion I moved it.
>
>It looks as if the tclcl 1.0b5 directory was being picked up on, even
>though it wasn't being specified to configure, and some of the
>compiler outputs with the problematic recent daily snapshot confirm
>this with -I../tclcl-1.0b5, while ns 2.1b3 just shows -I../tclcl or
>even -I/user/ccsrnrpg1/eep1lw/tclcl.
>
>Odd. Why? A look in configure shows:
>
>TclCL_VERS=1.0b5          <-- odd

This is a bug; we forgot to bump the version when we released.

>TclCL_ALT_VERS=1.0
>
>TclCL_H_PLACES="\
>                ../tclcl-$TclCL_VERS \
>                ../tclcl-$TclCL_ALT_VERS \
>                ../tclcl \
>
>...hmmm, so much for my specifying anything, really. I should really
>have spent more time learning how configure works...

This shouldn't be true... look further for the ones with $d in them
which should be used if you specify --with-tcl.

>I see ns 2.1b3 requires TclCL_VERS=1.0b6, yet the later snapshots I
>have from 1 September onwards only require 1.0b5. I don't understand
>why the drop back occurred in version; surely anything later than
>2.1b3 will also require 1.0b6? As this snapshot seems to?
>
>This recent snapshot's configure also includes such version checks as:
>
>PERL_VERSION=${PERL_VERSION:-5.000}   - ns pages say 5.003 is required;
>                                        you'd be nuts to permit earlier.

This is minimum required version, not the exactly required.

>OTCL_VERS=1.0a2                       - ns pages say 1.0a3 is required;
>                                        may as well check for it. (okay,
>                                        2.1b3 has a3 - another drop back.)

Fixed.

>TCLDEBUG_VERS=5.20                    - eh? This is really the version of
>                                        expect, and _that's_ up to 5.26.
>                                        Should be 1.7 (or 1.6 if you're
>                                        still running Tcl/Tk 7.6), surely?
>                                        Try finding tcl-debug-5.2/ ...

This probably dates from before tcldebug was a separate package.
I made it 1.7.

>in a similar vein, I see the tclcl snapshot configure says 'checking
>for libotcl1.0a2' when we're up to a3 ...
>
>I think you'll find that not allowing compiles without the correct
>versions eases troubleshooting and will reduce and focus the time you
>spend on support, but I'm thinking of end user rather than developer
>requirements here.
>
>My nitpicking of minimum versions required apart, I can now build
>Sunday's snapshot. Progress! Hurrah!

I've fixed all versions you mentioned and re-autoconf'ed.

   -John