Re: addressing format questions

Hi Lloyd,

   I have added a pointer to patchfile hier.patch in ns-problem's page
[http://www-mash.CS.Berkeley.EDU/ns/ns-problems.html]
remove the problem of using single level hierarchy with hier-rtg. The
daily snapshot also should reflect the changes. As usual please allow 24
hrs for the server to update these changes.
I haven't had a chance to take a look at the expandaddr-mcast
interaction (currently veyr busy with some other stuff). I'll let
you know when I do.

--Padma.

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Lloyd Wood wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Padmaparna Haldar wrote:
>
> > > I see that "mcast should be enabled before Simulator is inited (new
> > > Simulator is called)" - yet a lot of Tcl sample code doesn't appear to
> > > do this.
> >
> > so for backward compatibility's sake 1 bit was forced to be reserved for
> > mcast.
>
> aha - forced on you by your users.
>
> > while developing support for hierarchical rtg, #levels of hierarchy was
> > assumed (not quite correctly, as you pointed out) to be more than 1, as
> > the condition that you are trying to simulate was thought to have been
> > already supported by means of expand-address and expand-portaddress.
> > So I'll be working on getting single level hierarchy to work.
> > Meanwhile I'll also look into why/how expandaddr seem to be breaking with
> > mcast interaction.
>
> Great, thanks; I think eventually hierarchical routng may end up
> encompassing the older modes. Any progress thus far?
>

> > Also, you might want to have hierarchical addressing,and
> > 1. not turn on hierarchical routing for your simulation.
> > 2. default: have hier rtg as well (turned on by "Simulator set
> > EnableHierRt_ 1" in Simulator procedure "set-hieraddress{}"
> > (ns-address.tcl).
> >
> > for option1, the EnableHierRt_ flag would ahve to be set to 0.
> >
> > You can also take a look at hierarch. example scripts
> > hier-rtg-{10,100}.tcl in ~ns/tcl/ex.
>
> Thanks,
>
> L.
>
> <http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>PGP<[email protected]>

Be true to your work, your word, and your friend.
--Thoreau

Padmaparna Haldar
ISI/USC.
310.822.1511 #352