Re: delay and collisions in LANs?

Verena Rose <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> could anybody help me with the definition of the delay in LANs in ns.
> With make-lan there comes among others a parameter for the delay. How is
> this one
> defined?
> I'm not sure about it because there is another parameter in the Channel,
> the propagation delay. Is this the time a bit needs to go from one
> station to another on the cable?

Let me first say that I'm talking about LANs as they are implemented
in the current ns/nam snapshot.

If there is no contention, the total time should be:
	Channel::delay_ + // both Channel and Mac delays reflect the
	Mac::delay_ +     // medium access characteristics (order of
			  // microseconds)
	LL::delay_ +      // this is delay from make-lan
	txtime(packetsize + Mac::hlen_) // transmission time

> Another problem I have is with collisions. I have a LAN with four nodes,
> and two FTP and one CBR application running there. There seem to be some
> collisions when I look at nam, but there are no collisions and therefore
> no retransmissions in the tracefile.

> Is this because collisions cannot be drawn exactly by nam or do I have
> to modify something in the MAC or LL?

Both.  Nam cannot show collisions yet, and they are not traced.  It
depends on how you look at it: current tracing is done at the IP level,
so drops and re-transmissions done by MAC are not traced, and you'll
need to add them yourself.

  Yuri.