Re: Hierarchical addressing

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Shuqian Yan wrote:

> Hi, Padma
>
> My question: are all the mulicast routing protocols currently available in
> NS supporting the hierarchical addressing scheme (as opposed to flat
> addressing), thus one can simulate large graphs with more than 500 nodes?

Hierarchical addressing should work for any routing protocol you use
(unicast/mcast). However I'm not sure if you want to use hierarchical
routing as well, which is supported in mcast extensions as well.
 If you simulate large topologies using DM you should be
able to do that by simply expanding addrspace thru "Node expandaddr".
hierarchical routing can also be used for memory savings.
You can see examples for both in ~ns/tcl/ex

Hope this helps,
--Padma.

> If for example the DM protocol is only supporting flat addressing and I
> want to simulate large graphs using available DM, what are the changes
> should be made?
>
> tks,
>
> shuqian

Be true to your work, your word, and your friend.
--Thoreau

Padmaparna Haldar
ISI/USC.
310.822.1511 #352