Re: Hierarchical addressing (fwd)

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Shuqian Yan wrote:

> Below is a forwarded message about the hierarchical addressing format
> should be used for large multicast simulations (with more than 256 nodes
> in your graph...)

with more than _128_ nodes. The high bit is always reserved for
multicast, irrespective of whether multicast is used or not.

(This trips up a lot of people; I'm tempted to suggest something like

 $ns set-maximum-number-of-nodes n

 where n is rounded up to the nearest power of 2 and then doubled
 for the multicast bit to give the addressing space, and warnings are
 issued if n is exceeded at any point. If you're creating/destroying
 nodes via some complex routine or other, it could be a useful bounds
 check.)

On recent ns:

$ns set-address-format hierarchical 1 12

should give you a flat addressing space (of 2^11, 2048, nodes) where
the hierarchical routing flag should automatically be set to zero,
since there isn't really a hierarchy.

At least, this I what I've picked up.

L.