Re: Centralized Multicast:group address.

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Paula Rincon Mancheno wrote:

> �	 Hi, I am working with Centralized Multicast and I don't know how to
> associate a list of RP nodes with a particular group address.
>
> 	I mean, when you use a tree-type, you can indicate the address group as
> 		$mrthandle switch-treetype 0x8003
> but  if you use:
> 		$mrthandle set_c_rp [list $n19 $n29]
> how can I indicate the address group for this list of nodes?

If you are asking 'can I specify group-specific candidate RPs(cores)',
the short answer is no, not with the current implementation.

In selecting the RPs(cores), centralized mcast uses a pim-like
bootstrap mechanism, in which the RP for group G rcv in node N is
determined by a hash funciton H(G,N).   Currently, this hash function
is set to be very simple: H(G,N)=highest candidate RP, for all G,N.

This is very unlikely, but you might mean 'can I have receivers
on node $n19 $n29 joined to a specific group', the answer is yes. Just
take a look at the multicast example scripts, tcl/ex/mcast.tcl or
tcl/ex/newmcast/mcast*.tcl.

hope this helps,
-Polly