Re: NAM Trouble

On Thu, 07 Jan 1999 16:34:54 +1100, David Lapsley wrote:
>Hi All,
>I am having trouble getting nam to work on my system and would
>greatly appreciate any help you can give!
>
>I have successfully compiled:   ns-allinone-2.1b4a
>and run through the validation suite.
>
>However, when I try to run a simple example I get the
>following error:
>
>% nam out.nam
>% nam: bad screen number "0"
>% Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
>I am running Linux Redhat 5.2 with tcl/tk libs
>version 8.0.3-20, and gcc version egcs-2.90.29 980515
>(egcs-1.0.3 release). I have tried patching nam but got this:
>
>(Patch is indented 6 spaces.)
>patching file `trace.cc'
>Hunk #1 FAILED at 185.
>Hunk #2 FAILED at 413.
>2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to trace.cc.rej

I was not able to reproduce those bugs in the current working code.
I'll try to look at 1.0a6 at some point.
You might try the nam snapshot if you're impatient.

>I also tried to run the 1.0a6 binaries on the nam website,
>but got this:
>% ./nam-1.0a6 out.nam
>% ./nam-1.0a6: error in loading shared libraries
>% /usr/lib/libtcl8.0.so: undefined symbol: stat
>
>Also tried to compile nam versions 1.0a5 and 1.0a6
>but got same error as in my first example when I tried
>to run nam.

I had the same problem with the saved binary on the same platform
(redhat 5.2).  This is strange because I built the binary on either
that computer or one running RH 5.1, and it worked when I built it.  I
think there is strangeness in how RH handled tcl/tk between RH 5.1 and 5.2.

I will build a new binary for 5.2 when I can.

   -John