Re: STILL can not make Otcl

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:36:18 +0800, Wang Lei wrote:
>Dear Sir,
>
>In ns2.1b3, I can not make Otcl even I have applied the patch as you
>supplied.
>
>The error messages are listed as follows:
>(All using CC)
>In SunSparc20 Sun OS 5.5.1
>$make
>rm -f libotcl.so otcl.o so_locations
>cc -c -g -DNDEBUG -DUSE_SHM -K pic -I.  -I../tkbox/include
>-I../tclbox/include
>  -I/include otcl.c
>/usr/ccs/bin/ld -G -z text -o libotcl.so otcl.o
>Text relocation remains                       referenced
>    against symbol                  offset      in file
><unknown>                           0xc         otcl.o
><unknown>                           0x10        otcl.o
><unknown>                           0x14        otcl.o
><unknown>                           0x18        otcl.o
>ld: fatal: relocations remain against allocatable but non-writable
>sections
>*** Error code 1
>make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libotcl.so'

>In SGI Irix 6.3
>make
>        rm -f libotcl.so otcl.o so_locations
>        cc -c -g   -I.  -I../tkbox/include -I../tclbox/include
>-I/include  DE
>FINES =  -DNDEBUG -DUSE_SHM otcl.c
>        :  Skipping shared libaries -o libotcl.so otcl.o
>: - Too many arguments
>*** Error code 1 (bu21)
>
>Could you help me?

Two possible work-arounds:

- try gcc (which is what we use to build ns and tools)

- ignore the shared libraries and use the static libaries
  (which should be built anyway)

I don't recognize either of the errors you mention because I have
never used the commercial compilers on those platforms.  Perhaps
Solaris/Irix experts on ns-users can interpret those messages.

   -John Heidemann