Re: bug

> Imagine an end system lying that it is ECN capable and never having its
> packets dropped. Where do you draw the line? Larger queues
> (which will happen in this case) imply increased latency.
> It would defeat the whole purpose of having RED in the first place (and
> even ECN) if the queue grows to a point where the only discard decision is
> based on buffer limitations. We are back to Drop Tail.

The problem we found here, is that passing from marking 10, 20 or 30%
of the packets to DROP THEM ALL (isn't this a little like having a
Drop-Tail with a smaller buffer?), is a little abrupt, while a period of
marking all packets will help (specially if the number of end system
is large).

Clearly, as we said to Ramakrishnan, we are studying a case
where all end systems co-operate, and we are (by now) concerned with
performance evaluation rather than "network protection". This said, we
completely agree that protecting the network form malevolent users is
of the utmost importance.

Renato, Wenjie