packet relay?

Hi,

I am supposed to do some simulation using ns. After going through the
document, something is still unclear for me. A question here is: Does ns
support packet relay? I mean, suppose we have a sequence of nodes as
showed below. 'n1' is the source and 'n3' is the destination.

             n1 ------> n2 ------> ... ------> n3

What I need is to add an agent on 'n2' which does packet checking. It
may change something in the packets from 'n1' before relay them on to
'n3'. There could be some other nodes between 'n2' and 'n3'. Can we do
it? If so, how?

It seems to me that in ns, we can only setup a connection between 'n1'
and 'n3', and every nodes in between will automatically do the
forwarding. We have no control here.

Another question is: What's the relation between classifier and agent. I
can see from the document that it's the classifier who receives the
packets first, and then pass them to some agent. But how to implement?
Must we install the particular agent in the slot of the classifier
first?

Any suggestions and comments are welcome! Thanks in advance!

Wei Sun