nam - no display

Hello, I'm running too short of hair to continue alone, so...

I have a P-133 machine with Red Hat Linux 2.0.36
tcl 8.0.3 came with the OS
I have installed tclcl 1.0b7 (then changed to 1.0b6, just in case), otcl 1.0a3, ns 2.1b4, and nam 1.0a6
ns runs the verification suite ok, but whenever nam is invoked, it just goes away, pegs the cpu utilization guage, and doesn't display anything.  I even let nam run for 3 days with no change.
I'm using X from a desktop NT4 system, but I haven't seen any problems with other applications getting to the display.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Steven W. Russert
Boeing Phantom Works M&CT