can't cancel a timer--status_ is 2 ?

My ns version is 2.1b4a.

I'm having a difficulty canceling a timer, within a new agent I'm
developing. (That is, I'm doing all this within C++, not OTcl.) Whenever
I try to cancel the timer, I check its status_, and find it's not set to
TIMER_PENDING, but that it's numerically equal to 2.  Why might this be
so?

I also find that TIMER_IDLE and TIMER_PENDING are #define'ed in agent.h,
but that TIMER_HANDLING is not.  Should this suggest to me that my new
agent should never find its timer has status_ of TIMER_PENDING?

Many thanks,

--dan
 Daniel Friedman    [email protected]    http://www.isr.umd.edu/~danielf