Re: build two vesions of ns

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Sarah Liu wrote:

> I just wonder if it is possible to set up two versions of ns in one machine(
> we could connect to two servers.) such as ns-2.0 and ns-2.1.

Parallel ns directories are easily done; I've had multiple ns
snapshots installed in renamed ns-2 trees alongside recent beta
versions of ns-2 this way, usually running off the same versions of
Tcl/Tk/otcl/tclcl which are built in the same directory. Eats disk
space, though.

> Since we would
> like to run some old codes that are not workable in the new versions. Did
> anyone try it or have some experience on that. I would very appreciate your
> expertise on the ns build.
>
> By the way, if it is possible, could anyone tell me the software components
> that is used in ns-2.0 or ns-2.0a3 such as the vesion of otcl, tclcl, nam.

You may need to look at the version histories of ns/otcl/tclcl and
backtrack to the appropriate versions of otcl/tclcl to match. Since
they're closely intertwined, I'm not sure what untoward effects might
happen when using a much significantly later otcl/tclcl than ns
versions, particularly if you're going back to say 2.0a3. (Anyone?)

If you have multiple versions of these lying around for multiple ns
versions, I think your main problem will be in making sure that the
version of ns you're compiling is building using the versions of
otcl/tclcl you want in the directory you carefully specified. ns
building using a different version of a dependency in a different
directory from the one I expected has tripped me up a couple of times;
read the compile messages Very Carefully to keep an eye on this.

> Hope my idea of having two versions is not absurd.

not at all. It's careful and sensible.

cheers,

L.

who likes having something to fall back on when he can't build a
snapshot.