RE: build two vesions of ns

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Sarah Liu wrote:

> Hi, Lloyd and all other:
>
> I still need your more detailed instruction on how to change the directories
> link in those configuration files. Could you list all the files that I need
> to change?

Are you familiar with autoconf? It's just a question of passing
locations to configure via command line options. See:

http://www-mash.cs.berkeley.edu/dist/archive/ns-users/9901/0195.html

> Here is my plan:
>
> I am going to create a new directories parallel to my current ns directory ,
> say simulator, then put all stuff into that directory which is :
>
> ns-src-2_0
> otcl-1_0a1
> nam-src-1_0a4
> tcl8_0p2
> tclcl-src-1_0b5

perfectly reasonable...

> 1. I am still not clear about the following you said in email : "usually
> running off the same versions of Tcl/Tk/otcl/tclcl which are built in the
> same directory." Is that means you are using same version of
> Tcl/Tk/otcl/tclcl for different versions of ns, say ns-2.0 and ns-2.1?
> or using respective vesions of Tcl/Tk/otcl/tclcl for each ns ?

I'm using the same for ns2.1b4 and a more recent snapshot.  For you,
you might need to specify different otcl/tclcl when configuring each
ns, but you'll probably still be using the same Tcl/Tk versions.

> 2. How does parallel ns work in your machine? Do you have different ns
> working at the same time?

can do.

> When you run a test file in ns-2.0, is that you
> just typing ns-2.0 blar.tcl; and when you need to run it in ns-2.1, you just
> type ns-2.1 blar.tcl?

well, giving the full location of the ns binary in its own ns-2 tree,
although I have a couple of symlinks set up rather than overloading my
path with additions. Personal choice, really.

> What do you mean when you said "ns building using a different version of a
> dependency in a different directory from the one I expected "? How to
> prevent it?

specify it with the configure --with-otcl etc. Read the compiler
output to make sure it picks up on the directory you specified.

cheers,

L.