Re: Multicast Packet Counter

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Joumdane Abdelhamid wrote:

> Hi ns-users,
>
> I'm trying to evaluatre losses due to Core migration in a Core Based
Forwarding Protocol. What I'd like to know is :
> 1- There is a way to count how many multicast packets a node had
received from the group ?

Joumdane,

With ns2.1b5 (the latest release), You can use a combination of packet
filter (filtering on the ip hdr's dst_ field) and pkt counter for this
purpose.  Here's to illustrate how:

    set counter [new PktCounter]
    set filter [new Filter/MultiField]
    $filter filter-target $counter
    set header [PktHdr_offset PacketHeader/IP dst_] ; #acquire the header offset
    $filter filter-field $header $group
                                 ^^^^^^^ your group address

> 2- I also found that McastMonitor provides a way to know many packets
were sent to a specific group. But are join, prune packets included in
this count ?

It depends on what version of ns you're using...
In older ns versions, McastMonitor outputs numbers of data, register, join
and prune packets, per group, in flight.

McastMonitor has been modified since ns2.1b5 so that you can pick whatever
'type' (or combination of pkt type, group address, ...etc) of packets
you'd like to take counts.

Hope this helps,
-Polly