A question for you

Dear Ns-gurus,
I'm Luca from University of Rome.
I need to make studies about 3rd Generation Mobile Sistems  (UMTS). I'm thinking
about ns-2 to make the simulations, but I'd like to know first what ns can offer
me. I say this becouse I wouldn't like to spend a lot of time installing,
understanding its code and learning to use it, and at the end realize that I
can't do with it what I need to do.
For example: can I implement in ns the physical channel structure in time slots
and frames? Can I (and is it difficult to) implement my own MAC and LL
protocols? Are there somewhere other implementations of MAC protocols different
from 802.xx?
Please answer, thanks in advance!!

Luca