Installation Question

Hi everyone

I am installing the Ns on my PC. I installed a Slackware as the platform for
the Ns. I download the Ns and did several things.

I configure each component to create the Makefile then make the Ns. When I
run Ns, there is a error message which said can not load libotcl.so.

I checked the Installation Problem section online and find that it is
because the Shared-Library problem. I try to use ld to do it as the the main
page to me to do so. Then the message is as followed:

No reference to .........

Who has idea what's going on here? Following the content from the Problem
manual.

* Problem: Things built OK but don't run because of missing shared libraries
(for example, you get the message "can't load library 'libotcl.so'" or
"fatal: libotcl.so: can't open file: errno=2" [from Solaris]) or "libotcl.so
can not open shared object file: No such file or directory".
Solution: Many systems require that you do something special when installing
new shared libraries. Shared-library loading is system-dependent, so consult
the man page for ld(1) on your system. On many systems the program ``ldd''
can be used to diagnose shared-libary problems.
A couple of hints: many systems require that you set the environment
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to specify where to look for shared libraries. Other systems
require that you run ldconfig when using new libraries.

I am also new to Unix so that please tell me how to change the environment
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
Thanks a lot

Richard