Re: installing ns on win95

Hi, Matthew and other ns users,

I've ever compiled and installed nsb2.1.3 using VC++5.0 on win95,
according what I remembered, I struggled for some time. Now several
updates occurs, ns changed to ns2.1.4, and we usually use VC++6.0,
platform switches to win98(this is not a big deal actually). This
morning, in regarding of Matthew's email, I tried it for a while, the
modification of makefile.vc and conf/makefile.win is not a problem, but
this time I met a compiling problem which seems related to the template
defination of "nilist", etc. I did not figure it out right now.  I just
attached my makefile and configuration file in the end, for your
reference, but it doesn't work during compiling. (You might need modify
sth. first, I change .cc to .cpp, since VC only consider .cpp as c++
file. second, you need to modify the directory in makefile.win)

For the ns on Windows envrionment, it is still under construction, I
think. I suggest you switch to Linux or FreeBSD, it works pretty good.
Although VC can provide us very convenient mothed to edit, even debug,
but you must modify a lot something to finish the current installation.

As a finaly word, I do think if ns works find in windows environment,
for a lot of people, it will be very convenient, but we need
collabration to make a full modified version. Only in on OS, it should
be.

Regards,
-Ling
(P.S. Currently our group is developing a Java-based network simulator,
which has the same goal of ns, it is still under construction, I think
with some advantages of it(language, model...etc), might bring a lot of
conveniences.)
Ling Su
622 Harley Drive #4
Columbus OH 43202
Email: [email protected]
telephone:(614)267-6323(H)

> Hello ns-users and others,
>
> I am trying to install ns on win95 using VC++ 6.0.  I am having
> problems running the makefile "makefile.vc" with Nmake.  The questions
> have are as follows:
>
> Firstly, is it necessary to modify the "makefile.in" file found in the
> directory containing source files for tclcl and ns?  When the
pathnames in
> "makefile.in" are successfully modified should "makefile.vc" run?  I
> question whether or not this step is necessary since on the download
page
> for ns it is mentioned that only "makefile.win" in the  "\conf"
directory
> should be modified.
>
> In what ways do we have to modify the "makefiles", do we only have
> to change the pathnames or do we have to modify commands?
>
> I would greatly appreciate if someone could respond promptly to this
> message.  I would also appreciate an attachment of "makefiles" that I
could
> use as a model.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew Marchant