Re: ns command list and command format

Hao-song kong wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to ns. I wonder where I can get ns command list, formats used
> in ns,
> and ns tutorial as well.
> Can anybody help with this?
>
> Thank you.

There is no single up-to-date 'man' page for ns-2 - in some sense
it is not really possible to keep it up to date given that additions are
made to the simulator on an almost daily basis.

The best resources available are :

1. The fairly outdated ns man page from the web site

2. The example scripts in the ns-2/tcl/ex and ns-2/tcl/test
directories

3. The 'command' functions of the classes implementing the
relevant objects, in the C++ source code files, and the
instproc() functions implementing the corresponding classes in
the tcl source code. The C++ source files are in the ns-2 sub-directory,
and the tcl files are in the ns-2/tcl/lib sub-directory.

If you look at these resources *after* having a fairly good
understanding of how ns-2 works, what it can do, and have
successfully(or unsuccessfully) written a few scripts yourself,
you are likely to gain more out of the reading. A good place to
get this background work done is Marc Greis' web page, accessible
from ns-2's home. You should also read the basic simulator design
related chapters from the notes and documentation guide. If you are
really new to ns-2, then I would recommend skipping the C++-OTcl linkage
chapter from the notes, and reading the same from Marc's web page (he
describes it in the chapter 'a new protocol for ns-2').

Good luck,
Jayanth
Jayanth P. Mysore
Networks and Infrastructure Research, Motorola Labs
Phone: (847)576-8561 		 e-mail:[email protected]