Control of applications in ns

Hi!
I am at the moment implementing an "application" for ns, and I was
wondering what exactly starts executing the code in your application class
(preferebly derived from ns's application class),it is not the call to
the start procedure in Application, as I can see that the start, stop and
resume is called from the command method, so what executes the command
method, and how often(or what triggers execution) is "command" executed.
Which send method should be used? from what I see from the sourcecode for
Application and Agent, the send method in Application invokes the sendmsg
method in the class Agent, which then prints out a message to standard
error that it is not implemented. Any explanations, advice?

Tor Hval